Is your child struggling in school?
Do they have difficulty concentrating?
Are they having difficulty reading, writing or spelling?
Educational/developmental assessments are useful if you are concerned about your learning/development or that of your child. During educational assessments, we attempt to identify what factors may be preventing a child, adolescent or adult from learning to their fullest potential. We will collect information from a variety of sources to draw conclusions about strengths and weaknesses, and provide some explanation for any academic difficulties they may be experiencing.
We can assess for some or all of the following:
- Specific learning disorders (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia or dyscalculia)
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders
- Mental Health or Behavioural issues
- Screening for language disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorders (further evaluation would be required if signs and symptoms are present).
Assessments usually require four appointments:
- Collection of background information from parents, school and the child (depending on age)
- a one-hour interview with parent/s (and/or older adolescent/adults)
- Two sessions of 2 hours each to complete face to face assessment tasks
- A one-hour feedback session and discussion of results. If desired, this can be provided at the child’s school.
Book early as there is usually a wait-list of approximately six weeks. Once commenced, the assessment will be completed within two weeks.
A comprehensive report written in plain English will be provided. The report will describe all assessment results and make a range of recommendations. Recommendations may include strategies for parents, schools, appropriate accommodations, and recommendations for other support services, such as NDIS. If appropriate, recommendations will also be provided for application for special examination provisions through schools, TASC, TAFE, and University.
The cost for assessments will vary depending on the complexity of the concerns but is usually around $1100. Please discuss your concerns with us and we can give you an indication of the cost in advance. Unfortunately Medicare does not cover this type of assessment but you may be eligible for a rebate through your private health insurance provider.